- 3 tbsp vegetable oil or coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 150g small chestnut mushrooms, chopped into quarters
- 200g vegan chicken style pieces, cut into bite-size chunks (I happen to like Fry's vegan chicken style strips)
- 1½ tsp curry powder
- 1½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp dessicated coconut
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 2 chilli peppers, deseeded and sliced thinly (optional; for a spicier curry)
- 1 bell pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, deseeded and cut into larger chunks
- ½ tsp white wine vinegar
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and mustard seeds and cook for a few minutes until the onions have softened.
Add the mushrooms and vegan chicken style pieces to the pan and cook for a further five minutes, stirring regularly.
Add the curry powder, cayenne pepper, salt and sugar to the pan and mix for about 30 seconds to heat the curry powder until you can smell the spices.
Add the dessicated coconut and coconut milk to the pan, stirring thoroughly and bring to the boil, then lower the heat to a gentle simmer.
Add the mango, bell pepper, white wine vinegar and chilli peppers (if using) to the pan and gently mix until all is combined.
Allow the curry to simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring gently at regular intervals. Taste the curry and season further to taste if required.
Serve hot with white rice. We also enjoyed some store-bought poppadoms, pickle and mango chutney alongside our curry.