Sunday, 20 September 2015

Vegan MoFo Day 20: Veganise an old family recipe

Today's Vegan MoFo prompt: Veganise an old family recipe.

I've not done brilliantly at posting this year for Vegan MoFo, mainly because I've been super busy with work, which you will be able to read about soon on my work blog. However, I did get a chance the other day to veganise a traditional British recipe I used to eat a vegetarian version of growing up: toad in the hole! I'll admit it's not the most appetising name for a dish (even for those who eat meat), but it's definitely delicious!

I used a recipe from the Guardian Witness website to make my toad in the hole, and it came out really well, served with some mashed potato, vegetables and gravy along with just a dollop of homemade quince jelly.


Plus, I enjoyed the meal even more because I got to share it with my old flatmate Robin, who moved out of our flat earlier this year and now lives in an awesome campervan. Good food with good friends always makes for a great combination!



4 comments:

  1. Mmm toad in the hole! Looks delicious, never thought it'd be so easy to veganise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny! Growing up, what we called toad in a hole was a piece of bread with a hole cut out, put on the BBQ or fry pan and an egg cracked into the hole, then cooked on both sides.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once taught a summer cooking class to kids in Hong Kong and we tried to introduce them to British food - they were all disgusted with the name "toad in the hole" and we used to tease them that they'd be eating frogs! They all enjoyed the finished dish though. I'd be really interested to try this, I've never even experimented with vegan Yorkshire pudding batter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made a vegan toad in the hole. I really should do, I loved it when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete