Friday, 21 February 2014

Excitement in the garden!

Today was a very exciting day for me. There's a communal garden at the rear of my flat, which I'm lucky enough to have direct access onto from my patio door (one of the very few advantages of basement life!), and last year I planted a bunch of seeds and seedlings in pots; mostly vegetables, but also some flowers including irises. I hadn't been holding out much hope for anything much growing due to a number of factors, including (but not limited to) the fact that I was out of the country for three months last year; a tree falling in the garden in the summer and destroying quite a lot of stuff on the way down; and a neighbour's dog who is frequently let out unsupervised into the garden to poop everywhere, dig things up and jump on top of anything left out, which resulted in the demise of my small outdoor box for storing garden stuff. However, when I went out for a look this morning, look what I found in one of the pots!


Three whole carrots! Grown from seed with pretty much no interference at all! Plus, there are a number of baby carrots still growing in the pot!


Finding these has totally reinvigorated my desire to do something in the garden, and grow more vegetables in 2014. One of the advantages of the tree falling last summer (and a couple of others being taken out for safety reasons when someone came to remove the fallen tree) is that our previously fairly shady garden now gets a lot more sunlight. I'll put some photos at the end of this blog post to give you an idea of how it looks now, and I'd love to hear any suggestions you have for what we could do with it. I'm even thinking of organising a garden cleanup/planting party for everyone in the building to take part in when spring comes around this year, I'm so excited!


This is my own little personal space, right by the back door.


No comments:

Post a Comment