Saturday, 28 September 2013

Arctic Activists, Verdant Veg and Baked Beans


This is going to be quite a short post as I'm feeling pretty tired out this weekend and have a lot of work to catch up on after working hard on getting a protest together in Edinburgh to show solidarity with the crew of the Greenpeace ship the Arctic Sunrise, who are being detained without trial in Russia right now after their ship was illegally boarded and seized in international waters last week. If you could take a moment to write to the Russian ambassador asking for their release, regardless of where you are in the world, I would be very grateful: http://www.greenpeace.org/freeouractivists/

Anyway, back to vegan food! Today's subjects are veg boxes and baked beans (yum):




Yesterday, my fortnightly veg box was delivered, full of delicious, local, organic fruit and veg. I've been getting a regular veg box from Phantassie Organic Produce in nearby East Linton for a couple of years now, and I do recommend them highly! In my experience, their produce is always very good quality and every interaction I've had with their staff has been really positive. On the rare occasion that there's been a mistake with my delivery (such as the inclusion of cauliflower, which I specifically request not to be sent as I really don't like it) they've given me a discount or sent me something special extra the next fortnight, which makes me happy.

I really like getting a veg box, because it encourages me to be a little more inventive with my cooking, introduces me to new and unusual vegetables or varieties of vegetables, and also ensures that I eat plenty of fresh fruit and veg every week! This week's box included potatoes, onions, tomatoes, broccoli, cucumber, celery and leeks, plus a bag of tasty fresh fruit.


Using the tomato and onion, I decided to make my own baked beans for the first time using this recipe from the Small Wallet Big Appetite blog. It's not a vegan blog, but the recipe is really easy to veganise, with the only non-vegan ingredient being Worcester sauce, which is easily subbed for vegan Worcestershire sauce such as the Biona version (which I personally really like) or even left out in favour of other seasonings. I also didn't have any haricot beans to hand, so I used butter beans, which were quite nice but slightly strange in texture and size when compared to traditional baked beans. However, served as beans on toast these were really tasty, and I was very glad that I had a go at making my first ever homemade baked beans!

No comments:

Post a Comment